Library and Learning Commons Council Statement of Purpose Approved by Cabinet February 2013 Revised by LLC Council Executive Committee July 2013
The Library and Learning Commons Council functions as a strategic advisory council regarding opportunities to enhance, integrate, and assess library and learning services for students and faculty. The Library and Learning Commons Council is tasked with sharing and gathering information to assist in making recommendations to LLC Administration for consideration and implementation. LLC Council meetings are open to all staff, faculty, professional and administrative staff of the LLC and any other interested parties.
The responsibilities of the Library and Learning Commons Council shall include the following:
• Foster collegewide collaboration and ensure consistent, accessible, appropriate, and adequate LLC services and resources across the College.
• Recommend and review LLC procedures.
• Make recommendations regarding staffing for the LLCs (Library Services, Learning Commons, and Library Technical Services).
• Provide oversight of collection development to maintain library holdings and academic support resources.
• Form standing committees and work groups tasked with developing, implementing, and revising the LLC institutional effectiveness plan and resultant projects.
• Assist work groups tasked with developing curriculum and instruction related to information literacy.
• Communicate issues related to Florida educational institutions, the Florida Postsecondary Academic Library Network (FPALN): formerly the Florida Academic Library Services Cooperative (FALSC), the Council for Instructional Affairs – Learning Resources Standing Committee (CIA-LRSC), and other statewide organizations.
• Coordinate with members of the Developmental Education Council regarding resources, services and procedures managed by the Library and Learning Commons that impact developmental learners.
• Make recommendations regarding online LLC resources such as LibGuides, the FSCJ LLC website, and the Library discovery tool (Primo).
• Assist in the review and maintenance of the collegewide Library and Learning Commons Handbook.
The following representatives shall be considered either permanent members, or serve one-year terms as Committee representatives:
• Executive Dean of the Library and Learning Commons, Council Chair: Permanent
• Associate Provost, Curriculum and Instruction: Permanent • Director/Lead Representative from each LLC: Permanent
• Library Technical Services Representative: Permanent
• Faculty Librarian Committee Representative: One year
• Public Services Coordinator: Permanent • Student Support Services Representative: One year
• Information Technology Representative: One year
• Student Representative: One year
• One Representative from each School, including FSCJ Online: One year
Operating Procedures and Meeting Schedule:
• The LLC Council meets once per academic term and/or as needed.
• Each member is a voting member.